Thursday, January 24, 2013

The gift that keeps on giving (Note: this is snarky, not sappy.)

As those of you reading this blog prior to this post know, 1) my family lives in California, 2) I recently visited them, and 3) my little brother B loves coffee.

Whenever I visit them or he visits here, part of the drill is going to get coffee out. There are a couple of reasons for this: I can only have a little bit of decaf (which my parents don't have), I don't have a coffee maker (I suppose I could get one, but who am I kidding?), and he likes getting out and about.

So even though his preferred position is on the couch with his laptop or iphone, all I need to say is, "Coffee?" and he's up and ready to go like one of Pavlov's dogs. (B, since I know you're reading this, I will say you are much smarter than said dogs.)

At one point during my visit, we were about to leave when my dad said, "Wait! You can use my gift card. I have a couple and I never use them."

Me: "Hey, isn't this the gift card I got you a few months ago?"
My dad: "Um, yes. But I just don't go to Starbucks."
Me: "What about the other one?"
My dad: "Your brother N sold that one to me. Someone gave it to him."

I start to wonder if it's the gift card I gave N last year as one of his birthday presents. I glance at the card and sure enough, it's one of their "Happy Birthday!" cards. Curious, I sent him an e-mail.

Subject: Regift
Message: Did you sell Pop the Starbucks card I got you for your birthday?

(I haven't heard back...) Now I'm curious who the bigger sucker is: me, having bought a gift card that was then sold, or my dad, having bought a gift card he couldn't use. (But thanks, Pop! It was delicious.)

I bought B a drink and he said, "Thanks...I think."
 
To which I replied, "Hey! I did pay for it, you know. It just wasn't intended for you."

To be fair, my dad is quite generous. He insists on paying for just about everything when I'm there - "You're a guest!" - or he's here - "You're providing the hospitality! You saved me money on a hotel!"

However, this time it was me who gave the gift that kept on giving.

Side note: I spent one of the cards on B, then gave the other one to a volunteer at work. She knows the entire story and thinks it's hilarious. With her sense of humor, she might just give it to me for Christmas.

25 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

T least they were things which could be regifted. Recycling at its best? I have many, many tacky, sad, bad cat ornaments given to me over the years. And I have too much pride to regift them to anyone for fear it would be my taste which was found wanting...

Lynn said...

Coffee...it's after 5am and I haven't gotten the coffee going. Thanks for the reminder!

I cracked up at the title of the post before reading it. :)

Phil said...

I LOVE gift cards for absolutely anything and am shocked and saddened at your brother and father's attitude towards gift cards. Feel free to add me to your Christmas list and yes, I do love a Starbucks gift card.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Your brother broke the first rule of regifting -- cover your tracks and never give (or in this case, sell) the gift to anyone connected to the giver.

Oh, and apparently there's an actual site online where anyone can go to sell gift cards that they receive.

Charles Gramlich said...

Often, I only use the giftcards I get for books. I always use those, but not necessarily other cards.

Cperz said...

How entrepreneurial of your brother N. He gets a free gift card for his birthday and sells it to your dad. So really you gave him cash for his BD. Bet that's not going to be re-gifted.

As far as the co-worker giving you the card at Christmas...that would be funny.

Ileana said...

Ha! That's hilarious and I love the image of the kitties being regifted. I want one of those!

Riot Kitty said...

TEC: Me too! They have all gone to Goodwill.
L: You're welcome ;) Glad it made you laugh!
Phil: Thanks for the heads up. I'll keep you in mind ;)
TEC: They clearly weren't thinking this one through...and that is hilarious!
CG: Funny thing is, they both requested these. I probably should have mentioned it in the post.
Cheryl: He is quite entrepreneurial. He managed to sell my dad a book store gift card that he got free in the mail, too.
Ileana: I actually told them it would make good blog material!

Birdie said...

Next year, buy yourself the gift card, use it up then give it to your brother!

Granny Annie said...

Now I know how to find homes for the next batch of kittens on the place:) No one could afford the gift card I would need for coffee.

Darth Weasel said...

Since they will all come back to you (and, by extension, Mr. RK...) does that mean their gift cards next year will be to Spartacus?





I'll get me coat....

Riot Kitty said...

Birdie: That's a great idea. He'll probably still manage to sell it, though.
GA: HAHA! I hear you.
Darth: We'll be sure to invite you if they do ;)

Introverted Art said...

This reminds me of my husbands family. They have been regifting the same awful painting for about 30 years now

OldLady Of The Hills said...

I think it is Hilarious that they both re-gifted, plus your brother making your father PAY Him for it...! LOL!!!

Anonymous said...

You had me at "coffee'. I promise to diligently use any such cards if you ever choose to send me one!

G. B. Miller said...

I have been fortunate not to be regifted in my life and the gift cards I get are always what I need.

'Cause people ask me what I want for gift cards and I tell them. :D

Claire said...

Best gift ever! I love Starbucks gift cards.

LL Cool Joe said...

Ha ha, great to feel your gifts were so well received. :D Not.

I love that photo. Poor cats.

Riot Kitty said...

IA: That would be better!
OLOTH: It's pretty good blog material, but absolutely true!
LG: I'll keep that in mind ;)
GB: They both asked for them!
C: I will keep that in mind for you, too!
Joey: Heh. They did get used eventually! The cards, not the cats!

A Beer for the Shower said...

And this is why I don't regift. Simply because I know I'll end up being found out and looking like an asshole.

Also, I've heard of regifting something like a blender, but who regifts a gift card?

Riot Kitty said...

ABFTS: Yeah, I thought that was pretty unique. And no, they didn't cover their tracks well.

Betty Manousos said...

LOL! this made me laugh!

i love that photo of the kitties regifted!

Riot Kitty said...

I thought it was pretty great! I'd rather regift people, though.

Judy said...

Wait a minute! Was the card I gave you for Christmas in the mix somewhere?

Riot Kitty said...

HAHA! No, of course not. That was a thoughtful present. Welcome to blogger btw!