Sunday, September 30, 2012

Things I have learned from Dr. Who

I say I don't generally like sci-fi, but then I love Star Wars, Star Trek, comic book movies, and Dr. Who.

My dad and I used to watch it around 1979-80, when I was little - I think Tom Baker was the Doctor then. Mr. RK and I recently started watching the BBC series - it's a bit addicting, as we're through season 3 now (they're currently broadcasting season 7.)

Some things I have learned:

1. No one is ever really dead - it doesn't matter if they are vaporized or memorialized. Trust me, they can come back.

2. Statues are almost always aliens hiding in statue form. Witness the weeping angels or the first time we meet the Daleks in season 1.

3. The Doctor is a bit of a polygamist. OK, not in the traditional sense - he may fall in love, but he's also constantly falling in like with pretty girls.

4. The ship is never really lost. Nearly 800 episodes from combined series prove this.

5. There's a lot of screaming and a lot of crying - think 1950s martian movies. I take it the creators have a dim view of human intelligent response to crises (or is that redundant?)

6. Aliens find humans incredibly stupid, and as a result, they are almost always hostile, considering us expendable. (Ninja edit  - I had typed "expandable," but that was also correct, if you saw the episodes with the sleveen, who needed people to be...expandable.)

7. All alien leaders are narcissists.

8. Technology shouldn't be overused, or we'll all be in danger of becoming enslaved by aliens.

9. Anyone who's incredibly greedy becomes an alien slave. Lots of alien slave themes here...hopefully they don't go into alien sex slavery.

10. All of this alien invasion crap tends to happen in London. Wouldn't you move? :)

But I still want to know, where do they sleep on the ship? Where do they shower? Am I missing something?

14 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I like the episode where the Doctor goes back in time to 1953 and saves everyone from having their brains sucked out by aliens while they watch Elizabeth II's Coronation on telly. Now THAT's quality programming.

Darth Weasel said...

I agree with your aliens..humans ARE expandable. I suspect you meant expendable, but I think you unintentionally got it right. And they work to make us expand with what they put in during probes...

Granny Annie said...

My son and his children are DR. WHO addicts. I am not but this post makes me want to be. Perhaps......

Lynn said...

I have never seen this show. Hmmm. Love the lol cats that move closer every time you blink. :)

wigsf3 said...

Doctor Who is the nerd version of James Bond.

A Beer for the Shower said...

I love Doctor Who, and not just because I look like the condensed version of David Tennant, hair and all. In fact, I've got a brown trench coat, and The Doctor is going to be my Halloween costume this year. My wife, meanwhile, is going to dress up as whatever the hell she feels like. My logic: The Doctor always has a hot female companion, so I can make up her back story as I go. Example: I took the Tardis to Transylvania and my side kick is a sexy vampiress. See? Easy!

Rock Chef said...

Most huge boulders are actually made of expanded polystyrene.

A lot of the old Green Death series was filmed in a quarry near where my wife grew up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y95tlY6RASg

Classic stuff...

Ileana said...

Alien sex slavery...now there's an idea. Make them look like Depp! Love the images and captions here, chica. :)

Riot Kitty said...

D: That was a great episode!
Darth: That worked out rather nicely, actually.
GA: It's very fun to watch, and I'm not normally a sci-fi person. Plus the references to other British comedies are hilarious.
Lynn: There's an episode where the monsters are posing as statues that can't move when people are looking at them - so they move closer every time someone blinks. I wanted to sleep with the light on after that one!
WIGSF: And proud of it! Same gig - guy surrounded by girls, fancy equipment.
ABFTS: I think you just gave us an excuse to dress up for Halloween. What an awesome idea!
RC: I love trivia like that!
S: HAHA! If I hear about any, I'll send them your way ;)

LL Cool Joe said...

I liked the Daleks. Now doesn't that age me?

Riot Kitty said...

Joey: No, it just makes you a sadist ;)

Betty Manousos said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Logical Libby said...

If I were an alien overlord I would think pretty highly of myself too...

Riot Kitty said...

Betty: Thanks!
Libby: Agreed.