Friday, April 16, 2010

How do you relax? (The G-rated version, please.)


Joey wrote an interesting post which inspired this one.

I have realized lately that I am very seldom relaxed - it's in my nature to scurry around like a squirrel, always thinking about what I can do next. I feel the urge to be productive, not just for work but in my volunteer work, helping out friends and family, etc.

But I am trying, as Mr. RK says, to "de-program" myself a bit and relax some. I took yesterday and today off, and of course my first thought was, "We'll go to the beach! We'll go to Seattle! We'll..." And then I realized I just needed to have a couple of days to do...not much.

Mind you, my cats (like Mr. Lucky, above) have it down pat - they seem to have no problem finding the right balance of play vs. relaxation (no work.)

Which made me think, what do I do to relax?

Some things that come to mind: going out to Thai food, eating cheese enchiladas, wearing myself out with exercise, reading Agatha Christie (I know, I know, murder mysteries shouldn't be relaxing, but it's an escape), and I have switched to decaf. But it's not in my nature to be mellow. Even on trips/vacations I don't really relax - I want to do all and see all kinds of stuff.

Now, I know I will always be a "type A" personality (come to think of which, what are B,C,D, etc.? Do they exist? Food for thought.) But do you think it's possible to de-program, or re-program?

What do you do to relax?

19 comments:

Senorita said...

I am a total squirrel as well, it's hard for me to just chill out and relax. To relax I usually just sleep or blog.

Lynn said...

I spend so much of the day running around that I usually only end up with an hour or two at home in the evening before I go to bed. So I read or watch things on TV that I have dvr'd. But I too feel the need to do something with my hands even when watching TV. So I play mahjong or hearts on an old laptop computer while I sort of watch. :)

LL Cool Joe said...

I find it hard to relax too, because when I do I tend to have dark thoughts and get depressed and think I'm dying and crap like that.

I love to sunbathe by a pool with my music and a glass of something strong.

Blogging is never relaxing to me, I put more energy into that than most things weirdly enough.

I prefer to keep busy. :)

Thanks for the shout out!

Fireblossom said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Granny Annie said...

My spouse is the world's greatest relaxer. He works crossword puzzles and completely loses himself to this world. I cannot tell you how many times a day he will say to me, "Sit down and just relax." When I try I only see visions of my mother and none of my memories are of her just sitting down and relaxing. There is ALWAYS something that needs to be done.

G. B. Miller said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ileana said...

Relax?? What's that?? I love the idea of lounging around like a cat (like the ones in your pictures) but in reality, if I were a cat, especially an indoor one, I'd pluck all my fur off until I looked like a sphynx!

Maude Lynn said...

I don't. You have described me perfectly!

JLee said...

G Rated? I got nothin'...
Just kidding! I love taking bubble baths, with bath salts. It is the perfect relaxation moment.

Shionge said...

I am always finding things to do as well too...I simply don't wait for things to happen...I make it happen kekekek....

Ally said...

Awesome post. I personally do not know how to relax other than spending a lot of money on a manicure/pedicure type day. I'm totally Type A. My kitty does help me relax. She curls up on my chest and the purring luls me. I want to see Seattle :( Jealous much?

FourthGradeNothing.com

Darth Weasel said...

Movies, reading, watching basketball, painting miniatures, hanging out with friends/family...they all feel relaxing to me.

Logical Libby said...

I read blogs like this one. See? I'm so relaxed!

G. B. Miller said...

Take two.

I nuked my comment because I didn't like the answer I gave this morning (after giving it a ton of thought).

I'm horrible at relaxing.

But when I do try to relax, I like to do the following:

1) Read. I've always been a voracious reader while growing up, mostly because I had no friends while growing up.

2) Walk or hike. I do lots of walking and I take bi-montly hikes.

3) Write. I sometimes relax by writing or blogging, but that has been so rare as of late, that it hardly seems worth mentioning.

Riot Kitty said...

Good to know I'm not the only one who has a hard time relaxing! Good ideas, too.

Fireblossom said...

I relax by sitting in the corner, thinking about what I've done.

Ileana said...

PS - Red wine helps me relax. Sketching, too...even if my celebrity portraits suck, I have fun trying to get them right.

mac said...

It's never been an issue with me. I just kick back...relaxation is there.

I understand not everyone can do that. But I don't understand why?

skyewriter said...

Can't relax. I currently have 160+ college students (thirty of them graduate students) who are grade-grubbing and torturing the English language in ways that would make Dick Cheney blush.

Got nothing G-rated. Futher mockers (I tried).