Thursday, February 04, 2010

Congratulations, Mikey!


My friend Mike D has just finished all of his work completing a master's degree in library science!!! That's Mr. Shush, M.S., to you all now.

Mike and I have been friends since (he remembers) Super Bowl weekend 1998, which is another reason to post around now. In the days before mass use of e-mail, we exchanged lots of cards and he once wrote, "I wonder when we'll stop having the 'one of us is unemployed' conversation!" Despite his degree and massive computer skills, the 2000 recession wiped out a lot of those jobs, including a couple of his.

Not one to give up, he decided to combine his love of technology and books and get his library science master's degree. He did this with a full-time job, ridiculous prerequisite requirements, and a lot of determination. Feel free to drop by his blog and give him your congratulations!

I plan on doing so in person, with cheesecake, this summer, even if I have to take the train up to Connecticut.

12 comments:

Lynn said...

Oh - I love a library. What a fabulous career he will have. Congrats!

Ileana said...

You know Miami is on the way to Connecticut from Oregon, don't you? Take me with you!!

Seriously, I'm in need of a road trip.

Congrats to Mike D! Determination, a spirit that won't quit...you gotta love that in a friend!

Shionge said...

Hey this is cool :D Well Done Mike ;D

Darth Weasel said...

lol "mr shush to you"...great line, and congrats to Mike the Librarian (google "you tube Conan the librarian" if you miss the reference)

G. B. Miller said...

You know, I'm just a stone's throw from Mike D, so you can just happen to take a slight detour to Newington...so as to ask for directions to his house...yeah, that's the ticket..

LL Cool Joe said...

Well done Mike!

Fireblossom said...

LOL. I am loving Ily's sense of geography! ;-)

Green tea said...

Smart Guy,
I think many people have to look at school again to change their vocations to fins a job.
Wish I could go to Connecticut with you.It is one of those states I have always wanted to visit..

Riot Kitty said...

I know, is he great or what? :)

JLee said...

Congrats to your friend!!

G. B. Miller said...

R.K.: A favor to ask if I could.

Could you shoot me an e-mail as I got a question I would like to ask you.

georgebjr2006@gmail.com

Thanks.

Mike_D said...

thanks everybody!!!

I'm on RK's good list--I've been mentioned more than once on here!!
:)