Monday, December 28, 2009

All that glitters


Is sending holiday cards a dying art? I seem to be getting fewer each year. (Thank you, btw, to those of you who sent cards. I have them up on the bookcase.)

I found what I thought were sweet, nondenominational cards that I could send to friends and family that celebrated Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, Eid, Festivus...OK I'm kidding, but you get the point.

The only trouble was that there was much more glitter coming off of the cards than staying on them. I feel like the Tinkerbell of Hallmark.

There was glitter on my table, on the floor, on me - even in my coffee at work. And my boss somehow got it on his face (I didn't volunteer where it might have come from.)

My friend's husband opened their card and got it all over the front of his pants. "Now I have glittery balls for Christmas!" he reportedly told her.

Another friend, who works at a nonprofit where we made a donation this year, wrote me a personal thank-you note that was inscribed, "What? No glitter came with your check? I'm so disappointed!"

I e-mailed a colleague ahead of time, letting him know about the glitter and that it didn't come from anyone exotic, just little me.

His reply: "Being single with no prospects, anything that resembles a woman or an adult dancer is great!"

Um. How do you reply to an e-mail like that?

"Better luck in 2010!"

9 comments:

Darth Weasel said...

I always wanted to know why people getting naked was considered adult. somehow seems kind of juvenile.

On the card thing...I always had problems with them because the ones that say what I want already said it so what can I ad, and if they do not say what I want then what is the point? They start feeling so impersonal that I feel bad sending them.

Fireblossom said...

Glitter? I thought it was crack cocaine and smoked it. Now I have a headache. Damn you, Riot Kitty, damn you! :-D

Lynn said...

Better luck in 2010 is a great answer.

G. B. Miller said...

Well with me, I send out only cards to friends that I consider to be part of my inner circle.

In essence, I send out four cards per year. If they reciprocate, fine. If they don't, that's fine too.

Because sending cards (to me at least) is a personal choice, I like to think that when I do send them, the recipient appreciates the sentiment that is attached to it.

LL Cool Joe said...

I've lost interest in sending and receiving cards I have to say. I actually find it all a big chore.

That sounds bad doesn't it?

The Peach Tart said...

I haven't done cards in over 10 years but if I did they would be so glittery.

Aliceson said...

My kids love to craft with glitter but it's a total mess. I find the stuff for weeks afterward.

Shionge said...

I am always sending cards and gifts to friends overseas and local just that time has taken a toll on me that the nos. of card sent had reduced significantly ;(

I still received alot this year though ;)

Claire said...

I'll send cards for any occasion, and glittery ones are always ace!

Cxx