Friday, March 20, 2009

When I grow up...


So, I mistakenly thought it would be easy (and be able to undo) to change to "layout" format on this blog.

I spent the better part of half an hour trying to replace your lovely blog links because blogger deleted them! So if I have missed anyone, please post and let me know...it's not intentional :)

And after all of the bitching that I've had to listen to at work this week, I did get some nice compliments. One of them was from one of our members who is a gorgeous older woman whose son has acute schizophrenia. She is involved in all kinds of fundraising for services in the rural areas here, and is a retired actress.

She is gracious enough to host a difficult person at her table at our event next week, even though they dislike each other.

"I suppose a lot of people might not like things that I say or do," she said. "But you know what? I'm nearly 78 and I've been this way my entire life, and I'm not about to change now!"

I haven't heard any complaints about her. I told her that I want to be just like her when I grow up!

PS Happy b.day tomorrow, Chella! And isn't she sweet? She used b.day money to donate to my organization.

6 comments:

Scarlet said...

Chella rocks...and so does that fiesty 78 year-old lady you wrote about.

You know me...I love stories like this!

LL Cool Joe said...

I've been having problems wuth Blogger for the last 24 hours.

It's always great to get a compliment isn't it? Especially from a gorgeous older woman !! :D

listen for azure said...

In my life, it seems that the negative things are almosts always followed by positive, life affirming things. I'm glad that worked for you - you deserve it.

Do I really get to sit at the head table? I feel like such a grown-up!!

Darth Weasel said...

too funny. my cousin cares for my 93 year old Grandmother and was telling us about some, ah, disagreements she has with certain elements of our family who are pressing super hard to make Grandma eat only organic and stop eating the ice cream she so dearly loves to which cousin S replies, "She is 93 years old and has two joys in life; visits from her family and ice cream. So you aren't taking it away from her. She is 93 years old, she deserves her ice cream."

Though cousin S isn't old, the sentiment sounds like something Grandma would say. Feisty elderly people rock the Kasbah.

Riot Kitty said...

You know - if I make it to 93, I'll eat whatever the hell I want, whenever I want! Good for your cousin, Darth :)

Anonymous said...

I'm taking it personally that my link's not up. I shall commence crying now.