Sunday, June 14, 2009

A thicker skin?


Mr. Riot Kitty has been munching these oranges from Trader Joe's that are so huge, I had to do a double-take at the store to make sure they weren't grapefruit. Seriously!

So I asked him how he could eat a whole one in one sitting.

"They're actually not that much bigger than regular oranges," he noted. "They just have very thick skins."

He wasn't kidding: the skins on these babies were about 3/4 of an inch thick.

So during brunch today, he was peeling one and I mused, "I wish I had skin that thick."

I can be sensitive, let things get to me even when they're from people who I shouldn't give a fuck about.

Mr. RK grinned and gave me a new possibility with each peel.

"If you had a skin this thick" - rip! - "you could be a corporate public relations person." (In our house, that's akin to "scum of the earth," right up there with pay day lenders and people who think homeless people want to be homeless.)

"Or," he continued - rip! - "you could be a copywriter for a military recruiting office."

"Or," - rip! - "a public relations person for the IRS."

Picture this the next time someone claims you have a personality flaw - or just tell them to fuck themselves, whatever makes you happier! :)

14 comments:

ZIRGAR said...

I have skin like rhino hide. LOL. Unless the unflattering comment comes from someone who actually knows me, then I go cry over a tub of Chunky Monkey. LOL

Logical Libby said...

Whenever I really hate my job I thank god I am not in PR. And yet, that's usually the first job people suggest to me when I am bitching about work...

Darth Weasel said...

I used to enjoy my thick skin, but as I age gracelessly, it is getting thinner and I am getting more prickly. And sadly, I am more often finding it somewhat cathartic to show my non-thick skin with more frequency.

Of course, perhaps it makes sense. Under that thick orange skin are probably some great little juice squirts. There is an analogy there but I am sure you are already way ahead of me.

Fireblossom said...

I could become a postal manager!

skyewriter said...

My skin thickness varies. I am not sure what causes the variations, either.

More and more (the closer I get to my 38th birthday next month) I find it isn't thick as much as resilient. I may get upset for a moment, but then calmly blow off stupid shit said by thoughtless, stupid or irrational people (perhaps all three).

listen for azure said...

*hides under a pillow*

Please, not PR. Anything but that!! I was just on a republican's web site (for a good cause. Ahem. Yes) and the PR schmooze going there was majorly bad.

*shivers*

Shionge said...

Yo I have thick skin RK, I'm like a big onion....peel layer after layer after layer before one can get to me hahahhahah....

Claire said...

I'm far too thin skinned - but generally only if the criticism comes from someone I love or care about!

Cxx

Scarlet said...

Funny, you come across as a very strong and independent person. I can be both depending on who's lashing out at me. I'd like to remain even keel no matter what but then I'd be an emotional corpse, so yeah, I'll remember this story the next time someone kicks me when I'm down.

Riot Kitty said...

*Nodding head enthusiastically with everyone on PR*

Scarlet: Thank you! I like to think so, but things still get under my skin that shouldn't.

LL Cool Joe said...

I don't really have a thick skin. I've never wanted one.

JLee said...

I wish I had skin that thick too!

Aliceson said...

I'd like to think that I have thick skin but I probably let more things get to me than I should.

Grandpa Eddie said...

I could probably use skin that thick. I let things get to me to easily....and then the fangs and claws come out and I start ripping someone to shreds....which isn't always a good thing.