Saturday, June 20, 2009

Somewhere over the rainbow


It's Ward's birthday.

Ward died unexpectedly in 2003 after a life of much suffering but also many laughs. He had the biggest heart of anyone I've ever met; he was incapable of being impatient, or angry, or too busy to talk to a friend.

If I could talk to him now, I'd say something like this:

Amigo, I hope you are out there watching and I hope you approve that I named our walk team after you, and had Indian food in your honor last night. Remember that time we had Indian food in the East Village and they forgot to de-vein your shrimp?! Remember all of the coffees, pierogies, grocery trips and the trip to the museum exhibit in Midtown when it was muggy as all hell?

Remember when you saw my cat and said he looked like a snowball plugged into a light socket? Remember how you told me, when I was whiny about some jerk, that, "Relationships are difficult, with people...as opposed to plants!"

Even when you were having such a hard time you made me laugh.

You, more than any other person, helped me become a sober person. You told me: "It's just for today."

You told me I could be a reporter - I could do it!

You helped me accept myself for who I was; helped me get through many, many a sad day and long night. I hope I told you enough how much I learned from you.

I miss you so much! And when I think of life and death and loss, as you probably know if you have been watching, I usually turn to George Harrison.

Ward, this one is for you.

Love,
Me

9 comments:

Grandpa Eddie said...

That was beautiful RK.
Simply beautiful.
I think Ward knew, I'm sure he knew.

Ward...I salute you.

Aliceson said...

What a treasure those memories must be for you.

Hugs to you RK!

Scarlet said...

OMG, you make me feel as though I know him. What a treasure you had in Ward. You wrote this very well and I know he is feeling your love wherever he is.

BIG HUGS to YOU, Chica!!

Phil said...

Very nice post. I hate when people are dead...as opposed to plants.

listen for azure said...

We run across people like him so seldom in our lives. I'm so glad he had and has such a great impact on you!

themom said...

That was a great tribute. Memories are the greatest thing - no one can ever take them away from you.

LL Cool Joe said...

I can't see the video but it's a lovely post anyway.

Ward sounds like a wonderful person.

As Scarlet says, I think those who have passed on do still feel our love, and I think somehow we feel theirs too. :)

Riot Kitty said...

Thank you everybody - Phil, I love that line!

Joey, it's "Give me Love" by George Harrison.

Granny Annie said...

Well I do not know who Ward was but I love him for the part he made in molding the great You! Such a nice tribute and I am in tears. Ward must be smiling for sure.