Wednesday, July 01, 2009
And I'm the only one!
You remember that line from Winnie-the-Pooh, don't you? (By the way, what the fuck is a "pooh" anyway? Has anyone ever explained that? If you can enlighten me, please post a comment.)
"And the most wonderful thing about Tiggers is...I'm...the...only...ONE!"
I use this as a metaphor. (OK, stop laughing.)Seriously - I think Mr. RK and I are truly the only people in the world who aren't on Facebook.
Even the lady I order soap from - who lives in a small, semi-rural area - informed me, "We're now on Facebook!"
And for all of you lovely blog friends who have asked me to friend you...I'm not a hater! Nor am I anti-technology. I just don't do Facebook.
So here are my reasons - my own "top 10" list, if you will.
1. The people I like know where to find me.
2. I have no interest in "connecting" with anyone I went to high school with who is now pretending *not* to be a complete asshole.
3. I have no interest in connecting with anyone from high school, actually.
4. There are enough creepy lurking exes and wannabe exes who have googled me and e-mailed my former boss at my former job. One even posted on Craigslist looking for me and my mother-in-law saw it!! AND he posted from ALASKA. Hello! What were you hoping to accomplish? Cyber sex?
5. I don't want to bump into (no pun intended) anyone I used to date or sleep with.
'Cause chances are, if they say, "Hey, remember?" I'd reply, "I'd rather not," or, "No, because I accidentally blinked."
6. They've had security and phishing issues. Enough said.
7. My boss is on Facebook. Our volunteers are on Facebook. Again, enough said.
8. It does creepy big brother stuff. I didn't know until today (one of our volunteers told me) that if someone views your profile, not only do they record that and suggest that you "friend" that person - but they also suggest that person as a friend to everyone in your book. Eeech.
9. There are enough assholes posting pictures of the kids they have just popped out, or their wedding day.
10. Let's face it, I'd probably get kicked off for using the word "fuck" too much.