Monday, July 14, 2008

Collage



Claire did a neat post recently about making her own collage...and asked, if we were to repeat that artistic exercise in patience, what ours would say.

Hers had bright colors and several neat quotes. I've been scribbling neat quotes since I was in high school - everything ranging from lyrics from Sting and the Smiths, to parts from the Talmud and lines from books by Amy Tan and George Stephanopoulos.

Here are some that I like...too busy this week to make a collage!

(And the photos are by Mr. RK.)

[after his first screen test] The studio guy told me, "Kid, you have no future in this business." I said, "Why?" He said, "When Tony Curtis first walked onscreen carrying a bag of groceries -- a bag of groceries! -- you took one look at him and said, 'THAT'S a movie star!'" I said, "Weren't you supposed to say, 'That's a grocery delivery boy?' "
- Harrison Ford

Listen, if I cared what most people thought at this point in my life I
would be in a straitjacket. I don't care anymore.
- artist Hunt Slonem

There is a common tendency to cling to old ways and methods. Every innovation has to fight for its life, and every good thing has been condemned in its day and generation.
—Elbert Hubbard

Trust yourself. Create the kind of self that you will be happy to live with all your life. Make the most of yourself by fanning the tiny, inner sparks of possibility
into flames of achievement.
- Golda Meir


There's nothing better than good sex. But bad sex? A peanut butter and
jelly sandwich is better than bad sex.
- Billy Joel

I don't understand the hatred and fear of gays and bisexuals and
lesbians...it's a concept I honestly cannot grasp. To me, it's not who
you love...a man, a woman, what have you...it's the fact THAT you love.
That is all that truly matters.
- Al Pacino

The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be
honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you
have lived and lived well - Ralph Waldo Emerson

The things that come to those that wait may be the things left by those
that got there first.
- Steven Tyler

I have bursts of being a lady, but it doesn't last long.
- Shelley Winters

8 comments:

Claire said...

Good Lord, Billy Joel and Al Pacino are wise! Great quotes lovely, and thanks for the shout out ;)

Cxx

Darth Weasel said...

sadly, my quotes would be more along the lines of, "The early bird gets the worm but the second rat gets the cheese"...

nice piece

Scarlet said...

Great quotes, especially the Harrison Ford one!

I have a bunch of these.

JLee said...

Those are funny and the Billy Joel one cracked me up!

Jessica said...

I totally can relate to the last one!!! Reminds me of that quote about how well behaved women rarely make history! :)

Cool collage.

vivavavoom said...

I like Steven Tyler's a lot. cannot believe the bad sex one was from a guy (Billy Joel). I always thought guys believed bad sex was better than no sex, let alone a PB&J!

Anonymous said...

Love your quotes. I used to collect them because it always seemed as though someone else already said what I wanted to say, but better.

Anonymous said...

"If all the folks in the United States would do the few simple things they know they ought to do, most of our big problems would take care of themselves." -- President Calvin Coolidge