Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Language and its evolution

A quote from Liza of Lambeth, W. Somerset Maugham's first novel:

"Grind away, old cock!"

Now mind you, the sentence above was uttered by a female character to a musician - but she was asking him to play the organ grinder.

Makes you wonder how the English language has evolved, and why.

Speaking of which, I am getting a terrible reputation for language (LOL) - I got this late b.day gag gift from Darth Weasel and his wife:
Tomorrow is my boss's b.day, and in his card, I wrote, "It is great to work for someone I respect, who cares so much about our mission - and who doesn't mind that I say "fuck."

Here is his cake - cross your fingers that he doesn't find out about the surprise party until the first guest walks in!

11 comments:

Passion Fruit said...

Fingers crossed!

listen for azure said...

With that boy a happy one for me, would ya?

Shionge said...

I bet he is going to be surprised :) Have fun and tell us more :D

LL Cool Joe said...

What no candles!!!

Have fun!

Darth Weasel said...

In a post about the meanings of words, I am afraig PG girls' comment does not sound PG Rated...WITH that boy a happy one....hmm...should I be concerned? :-) Should MR> Riot Kitty?

Scarlet said...

What a thoughtful gift! I love it!!

That cake looks fantastic...and funny! He'll get a kick out it, I'm sure.

Claire said...

Ooooh, have fun!

Cxx

Lynn said...

The cake looks marvelous! You'll tell us how the party went?

Fireblossom said...

Grind away old cock?!?!? Good grief. Where do you FIND this stuff???

Riot Kitty said...

Hi everyone! It went well - he had absolutely no clue that a whole bunch of friends and his entire immediate family (except his kids, who were in school), were going to show up.

Darth: You'll have to ask her ;)
Fireblossom: Somerset Maugham! I swear!

Susan English Mason said...

I like the gospel one: "And immediately the cock grew." Or was it "crew"? I never could get those bible quotes right.