Sunday, January 03, 2010

Happy almost birthday


Mr. RK's birthday is in a few days, and I plan to spoil him, so between that and going back to work after a few days of relaxing, cooking, and watching movies, I may neglect blogland a bit this week. I'll think of you while I'm pigging out on birthday cake.

Each member of my immediate family sent Mr. RK a card - we are quite the Hallmark family, and my dad says that your birthday should be "the one day of the year you get to be as selfish as most people are every day of the year!"

We make a big deal, celebrating more than one day. My dad, who turned 60 in October, is stretching it out this entire year. I have been sending him little presents each month.

My little brother, who turns 14 in a couple of weeks, scratched out the inside of the card that said, "Spend your birthday doing what you like to do," changing it to, "Spend your birthday doing what I like to do."

Everyone had a funny message (my stepmom even wrote him happy birthday in Spanish, which she doesn't speak), except my little sister (who is 9), who is a bit serious. She had one that was so sweet I just had to share.

A budding artist, she spends three or four hours drawing every day. She drew two little dancing figures, and the glare from the flash was too much to perfectly capture the caption, but this is what it says:

"I hope all your dreams come true."

Sometimes, the most profound things come from our littlest people.

12 comments:

Darth Weasel said...

well, though I am a card-carrying member of the anti-card union, a card, by the way, which we do not carry since we, being anti-card, do not actually have cards to carry in our anti-card society, but if we did have a card I would totally make an exception and carry the card...but all that aside, happy b-day, mr R-K and hopefully Friday will work well for all concerned

Fireblossom said...

Birthdays are an occasion of terror and loathingThen you turn to dust and blow away.

But happy bday, Sean! :-D

Lynn said...

Happy Birthday to Mr. RK! A lovely tradition, that - celebrating as a family in a big way. Love the kitty card from Tracey. :)

LL Cool Joe said...

Hope Mr RK has a rockin' good birthday!

Try not to eat too much cake!

Riot Kitty said...

Darth: I was thinking Mexican food...with no condiments except those named cheese :)
FM, L, and Joey: Thanks! Can't promise I won't eat too much dessert though ;)

Ileana said...

Tell Mr. RK to put on his birthday suit and dance like nobody's watching! :) Enjoy the cake!

Aliceson said...

So sweet of your sister! Happy Birthday wishes to Mr. RK!!!

Riot Kitty said...

I: That comment cracked both of us up ;)
A: Thanks!

Robert Tres said...

I think that Mr. RK probably does not even deserve a birthday. Perhaps Mr. RK maybe even needs to have a birthday removed. That sounds like what he deserves. One year younger, that will show him.

(I'm probably just jealous, I broke a plate when I was 6 and have not had a birthday since. That was 32 years ago.)

Riot Kitty said...

RT: I think you may be right. But I'm not going to give him the satisfaction of staying 38. He is your evil twin, after all.

The Peach Tart said...

Happy Birthday Mr. RK. I hope you enjoy it.

Riot Kitty said...

PT: Thanks! We plan to. :)