Sunday, December 09, 2012

Laughter is a random act of kindness

I am always amazed at how people going through terrible times are still able to maintain a sense of humor.

One of our volunteers at work had the week from hell and shared this picture of something her teenage son created...

Is he referring to the Mayan apocalypse, or the last sheet of toilet paper? (Hint: it's not the first one.)



I had lunch with our friend who is very ill yesterday. He said, "RK, I am going to try my hardest to make the most of the time I have left. There's no point in pouting."

I felt ashamed, as I've been pouting (read: ranting, raving and driving Mr. RK nuts) about medication ups and downs. Mr. RK reminded me that I was lucky (blessed really) to be here, upright, to complain.

Then our friend (who is a pastor) told me this joke:

Three guys die go to heaven on Christmas Eve. St. Peter tells them that because it's close to Christmas, they need to give him a present on the way in.
RK
The first guy gives him a candy cane. The second guy gives him a charm he has on his key chain.

The third guy hands him a pair of women's underwear.

Shocked, St. Peter blurts out, "What is THIS?"

The guy replies, "They're Carol's."

See if you can make someone laugh today. It'll probably help more than you know.


14 comments:

Claire said...

Love this, honey. Sorry to hear you've been feeling stressed, but glad you're in a happier spot.

Oh oh oh, and here's a joke....

What do you call cheese that doesn't belong to you?











Nacho cheese!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

When time is short, one must cut through all the bullshit.

Lynn said...

Your joke and Claire's joke made me laugh. :)

Hang in there - and it sounds as if you are being a good friend to your friend who is so ill.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

What you say is so true....! It eases things to "laugh" even in the worst of times....!
LOVE that message on the TP...lol!
You are a good friend and I hope you feel better and better as the days roll by, my dear.

Elephant's Child said...

A sense of humour, albeit black, is what keeps me more or less upright. It is amazing how much it helps - and how much better than alternative it is.
I LOVE your joke and am about to send it on to the skinny portion's sister - who is deeply religious.

Elephant's Child said...

.

A Beer for the Shower said...

I try to make others laugh as often as I can, by way of blog or in person.

This is my favorite joke:

A man's in line at the grocery store, and he notices the woman checking out in front of him is buying 2 bell peppers, 3 onions, a head of lettuce, a carton of milk, a dozen eggs, and a loaf of bread. He tells the woman, "I bet you're single."

The woman is taken aback. She says, "Why yes, I am single. But none of these items seemed to indicate that. How did you know I was single?"

And the man says, "Because you're fucking ugly."

You're welcome.

Riot Kitty said...

C: I haven't heard that one forever! It made me giggle.
D: I agree. I wish everyone lived like that anyhow.
L: Oh good! And thanks.
OLOTH: Thank you!
TEC: Fantastic! Black humor is the best, I agree.
ABFTS: Geez! I'll file that one away for a time that I need it ;)

Rock Chef said...

I try to spread a smile.

The other day in a supermarket - it was jammed solid and early on I exchanged comments with a couple who seemed to be taking each aisle in the opposite direction to me. In each aisle we would smile and say "Hello again".

By about the 7th aisle, I said "Hi, do you want to come around for Christmas?"

LL Cool Joe said...

It's so easy to feel sorry for ourselves, and yet when we think of other people like your friend who is seriously ill, it makes us put our own issues into perspective.

Sorry you've been stressed recently. Chin up!

Riot Kitty said...

RC: That is hilarious! I love it when people make me laugh like that.
Joey: So true! And thanks :)

G. B. Miller said...

Okay, this is my favorite one sentence joke that I've nailed both guys and gals with, and even made a teenager turn red.

"If I was up, would you be down?"

Ileana said...

Visiting you always brings a smile to my face...at least...I'm usually laughing because I can just imagine you telling these stories. Love the tp image!

Full-On-Forward said...

Three guys die go to heaven on Christmas Eve. St. Peter tells them that because it's close to Christmas, they need to give him a present on the way in.

The first guy gives him a candy cane. The second guy gives him a charm he has on his key chain.

The third guy hands him a pair of women's underwear.

Shocked, St. Peter blurts out, "What is THIS?"

The guy replies, "They're Carol's."

See if you can make someone laugh today. It'll probably help more than you know.


Oh wait-- YOU'VE ALREADY HEARD IT?

Why didn't you stop me???

Hugs,

J