Wednesday, December 12, 2012

A bit of cheer

I wrote a whole blog about the shooting that happened a few miles from work, and then decided it was too depressing for this page. I know two people who were there and thank God they are OK.

So! In lieu of that, I've stolen a lovely cartoon from Claire:

I'm going to be stirring things up with my little brother B for the next week or so. I'll try to visit your blogs as much as possible, or possibly post here if the vegan mocking gets too intense!

Claire is all about Christmas, and her cheery posts inspired me to share this picture with you.


The backstory: my friend who is ill has been extra stressed because his wife is temporarily in a nursing facility. His one Christmas request was that she have a good Christmas - she is really into Christmas, and usually they put up a huge lights display and an 8-foot tree. Some people from his church came over and did the lights - complete with Manheim Steamroller music playing! - and he and I got this tree for her room at the health center. It was his idea to decorate it with teddy bears - when their son was alive, he used to collect them and deliver them to children's hospitals, which became a family tradition.

She loved the tree and I think it does look rather lovely, considering that us amateurs put it together!

15 comments:

OldLady Of The Hills said...

Oh, I LOVE the Tree! Such a sweet idea---The Teddy Bears...I think you both did a Brilliantly Lovely job!!!

How scary thst that shooting was so near you....The World Has Gone Mad!!!

LOVE that Cartoon....lol!

Rock Chef said...

That is my idea of a tree! Great work!

Lynn said...

It's a beautiful tree. What a great friend you are - so giving.

I hope you have a wonderful time with Blake!

Birdie said...

There are so many shitty aspects of Christmas but there are great ones too. Bringing Christmas to folks in nursing homes is one of them.

Enjoy your brother and don't worry about reading blogs. We are not going anywhere.

Darth Weasel said...

good thought and what the season is all about.

Well, that and avoiding the ubiquitous eggnog

Anonymous said...

What a great loving thing to do! I would love to hug you for this,

Debra She Who Seeks said...

What a lovely and loving gesture for your friend in the nursing home!

Elephant's Child said...

The tree is beyond lovely. Your friend himself sounds incredible - thinking of his wife rather than himself. What a man.
Good luck on the vegan front. My partner speaks of bean turd, and also asks if I am aware of just how many tofudelopes (tofu antelopes) have died to bring me my meal. My brothers applaud.

PeaceLoveandSharpies said...

Aww I saw that cartoon on tumblr. :D

And that's one of the cutest Christmas trees I've seen. Makes me wish I celebrated Christmas.

Though if I were ever to have a Christmas tree it would look like nature puked in my living room not even joking

Introverted Art said...

your tree looks absolutely beautiful! I love it so much :)

Holland said...

Great tree...Love it and I hope your friend and his wife will have a wonderful x-mas... and you and your family as well (of course!!!!!!)especially your little brother who teases the vegan sister...lol

DWei said...

That is a lovely tree. I haven't had a Christmas tree up in my home for years. :P

Full-On-Forward said...

I posted that too---are we KIN?

Sorry I haven't been round--My Bad!

Love ya, and Happy HolliDAZE to you and Mr RK--AWESOME TREE! Hope he enjoys this Christmas.

John

Riot Kitty said...

H and D: Thank you!
John: I suspect so - scary (for you) ;)

Ileana said...

Beautiful tree and story behind it. Have fun with your little brother...and remember all the fun stories so you can share them with us...the more inappropriate, the better. :)