Sunday, April 11, 2010

Answers to the pop quiz


So far, three of you are at a tie for first place, guessing three out of ten. So if you would like a chocolate bar, let me know, G, Shay, and WIGSF.

Here are the answers:

1. he could lick 'em by smiling
he could leave 'em to hang
David Bowie, Ziggie Stardust

2. There was a time you let me know
What's really going on below
But now you never show it to me, do you?
Leonard Cohen, Hallelujah

3. she's just a corn-fed white-bred chick
born in the right zip code
she comes with a gold card
she'll never have to pay for it
Veruca Salt, Best You Can Get

4. No evolution
Sometimes it depresses me
The same old same
We keep repeating history
Garbage, Sex is Not the Enemy

5. Feel the breeze deep on the inside look you down into your well
If you can you'll see the world in all his fire
Duran Duran, Save a Prayer

6. I hope my legs don't break
walking on the moon
The Police, Walking on the Moon

7. And the beer I had for breakfast wasn't bad,
So I had one more for dessert.
Then I fumbled in my closet through my clothes
And found my cleanest dirty shirt
Johnny Cash, Sunday Morning Coming Down
Apparently also done (first) by Kris Kristofferson


8. You were always spoiled with a thousand toys but still you cried all night.
Your mother who neglected you owes a million dollars tax.
Rolling Stones, 19th Nervous Breakdown

9. Good morning, I'm leaving
And I'll be back in a few days
But that's just the way it is, you know
Sheryl Crow, Hole in My Pocket

10. Ja ne sais pas ce que je
Veux mais je l'aurai
Je veux semer la terreur dans la rue
Sex Pistols, L'Anarchie Pour Le UK
Which is Anarchy in the UK in French!

11 comments:

G. B. Miller said...

Hmmm....

1) Overkilled on classic radio, but a good song.

2) Never heard of it, but have heard of him. Too intelligent for commercial radio.

3) I like Veruca Salt. I mean, how can you go wrong with a band named after a character from "Willie Wonka"?

4) Garbage...ehhh.

5) I like Duran Duran...check out thier cover CD called "Thank You"...it's pretty decent.

6) Love the Police...got all of their stuff.

7) Like Johnny Cash too.

8) This song has actually made it to the oldies station out here.

9) Don't like her hypocritical viewpoint on politics.

10) I actually got that song on the soundtrack album. Bonus points if you can tell me who sings it.

And.....chocolate? Hmmm...being a diabetic, I probably wouldn't be able to enjoy it. But...if you can find a deserving child to give it to, please pass it on to that deserving child with my compliments.

Fireblossom said...

I can't believe I missed #1. And of course i want choco!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Now that I see the answers, I'm glad I got so few of them right.

Lynn said...

I can recommend that chocolate. Pretty darn good. :)

Granny Annie said...

Hey, I'm an old Granny. I don't know this kind of kid stuff. But I missed the part about Chocolate or I would have at least tried. Can I get a candy bar because you sympathize with an old senile woman?

Ally said...

I love Duran Duran. Especially when I get to sing their songs on Rock Band. Ha ha!

Visit me at FourthGradeNothing.com

Ileana said...

Asking FB if she wants chocolate is like asking a Cuban man if he'd like a cigar.

You have ecclectic taste, my friend.

PS - I love Leonard Cohen's "I'm Your Man"...the YouTube video with Johnny Depp images all through the song. It's beautiful!

Ileana said...

Sorry about the extra c in eclectic...too much Cuban coffee this afternoon!

Riot Kitty said...

G: Sorry about that! Starbucks? I have the "Thank You" album and I love it.
FB: Okey dokey!
WIGSF: If there was an obnoxious comments contest today, you'd win. How's that?
L: I know, right? And I'm not even a chocolate person!
GA: I can send some, even though you're not old or senile :)
A: I love all of Duran Duran.
Ily: No worries!

To all of you: these aren't my taste, necessarily, just lyrics I thought were interesting.

G. B. Miller said...

I was actually able to find a 12" of the song White Lines at a Salvation Army Thrift store back in the 90's.

Original version is very cool.

No need to apologize, it was the thought that counts.

Green tea said...

Chocolate..?? Dam I should have been around sooner, I know I would have aced this...NOT!! :D
This month is vicious..just too much going on..