Monday, July 15, 2013

Just curious

It used to be that if you got caught in a scandal, you were booted from office, but recent events in New York and South Carolina suggest that guys getting caught with their pants down can rise again (no pun intended) like a phoenix from the ashes.

Now, there's old-fashioned adultery (and a hatful of stupid), like the South Carolina example, but in New York...well, just EEEW.

Eliot Spitzer pissed me off mostly because he was such a hypocrite. "I'll fight corruption! I'll bust prostitution rings! Oh, wait, I'll have sex with prostitutes at the same time!" Right.

Anthony Weiner...well, he at least made use of his name. But New Yorkers are poised to elect both of these guys to new positions (again, no pun intended.)

Can you imagine a mayor whose junk is on the internet because he saw fit to take pictures and send them around? Seriously? Maybe he should include it on a campaign mailer.

I'm just curious. Are New Yorkers less particular about their candidates? Less uptight than the rest of us?

There was a tiny scandal here last year when a group of Republican legislators visited a topless bar, resulting in the resignations of two of the legislators involved. Personally, I could care less where they visited in their off-time, but again, these guys paraded around as "pro-family values" conservatives, so it was the fakery that I think ticked people off. Or who knows? Maybe their districts really got their balls in an uproar because of the topless bar visit.

How about you? Does the hypocrisy, the sex(ting), or neither bother you? If either or both of these guys gets elected, it will make for an interesting civics lesson.


19 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

This is why we should only vote in cats to elected office. Seriously!

Charles Gramlich said...

The hypocrisy bothers me quite a lot, perhaps more than many other things. And I don't know how people can keep reelecting these folks. Forgive them if you want, but don't put them back into power.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

I think they are both A-Holes and don't deserve to hold ANY office, ever again. They are both liars and Hypocrites---I was a New Yorker and if I still lived there I would not vote for either one of these guys! They already proved you cannot trust their word!!!!! DELIVER ME!!!!

LOVE that picture!!! LOL!

DWei said...

They'll still probably get in. Chances are, they have enough money to make the right people hush up.

LL Cool Joe said...

It's the hypocrisy that gets me. If you are claiming to be a certain "Kind of person" be it, if not, don't claim it. That simple. Just like a minister of a church. If you are going to stand up each week and preach to me about the way we should live our lives (which I believe in too) then practice what you preach.

On the other hand I admire some one like Rihanna who has openly said she has never had a desire to be a role model to kids or anyone, she just wants to sing and perform. At least she's honest. She's a bloody awful role model to teenage girls in many ways, but at least she makes it clear she never wanted to be one. I admire her for that.

Lynn said...

I wouldn't vote for those guys to be dog catcher.

Love the lol cat. :)

G. B. Miller said...

Hypocracy will always get you elected in this state.

People here have the IQ of a sleeping brick and we've been paying for it for the past 20 years.

wigsf3 said...

Bill Clinton.

Cperz said...

The hypocrisy bothers me a lot. I don't understand how Weiner in particular can still be considered as a viable candidate. I am sick at the continued bad behavior among politicians, even the smaller less reported local guys, that promise to be all about family values while they seem to have no personal morals.

Kathleen said...

Being from South Carolina, I have to say...completely horrified by the entire Mark Sanford affair...and the fact that he was re-elected...and that he won out over Elizabeth Colbert Busch...I have no explanation. All I can say is that my 67 year old mother sees the injustice in it all. And at least that seems to be some sort of progress.

Abby said...

I have zero tolerance for hypocrisy. In the case of Weiner and Spitzer, though, what bothers me the most is the combination of hypocrisy and egomania.

Riot Kitty said...

Debra: I know at least that my cats are MUCH MORE HONEST.
Charles: The hypocrisy bugs me the most, too. If they want to act like Ron Jeremy, they should just fess up.
Naomi: Absolutely right! Deliver me...
DW: The thing is, the pics are already on the internet, the stories have already been printed everywhere...
Joey: I'm with you. I'd rather have the honest truth from someone, even if I personally don't like what they're doing.
Lynn: I think the dogs would probably run ;)
GB: I must use the phrase "IQ of a sleeping brick" sometime soon! So aptly put.
WIGSF: So the moral of the story is...their wives will go on to have political careers!
Cheryl: I know!! Your dick is on the internet = you shouldn't be in office. IMHO.
Kathleen: Explanation is that he's a member of the prevailing party. Just sad.
Abby: That is a really good point. They both think they're above the law.

Lee said...

The world, unfortunately, is full of hypocrites. They have no conscience; they don't give a damn...as long as they are reaping in the big pay packets...they are content to be pretenders.

And they've learned how to sleep crookedly!

Riot Kitty said...

Lee: And then today, the chair of the county commissioners in Portland admitted to having an affair with someone who worked for the county so ultimately, he was her boss...and she got promoted to a leadership decision during this time.

A Beer for the Shower said...

Money can buy you anything if you want it bad enough, regardless of the skeletons (or in this case, mass grave) in your closet.

Shionge said...

It happens to this part of the world too and temptation is every where I suppose.

When such things happened to office bearer.....out they go no doubt about it. So I say to those fellas, you want to play with fire just be reminded that fire can never ever wrap a 'paper'.

Dexter Klemperer said...

Actually I have to admire Weiner a little bit. I don't see how I could ever show my face in public again if I did what he did. By now I would have changed my name, grown a long beard, long hair and started a new career working at the local smoke shop.

Betty Manousos said...

okay, that lol cat made me literally lol!

missed you!

Blue Grumpster said...

Well, I never mind a good scandal. As long as no one got raped or hurt otherwise in the process. All a scandal does is remind us we all love sex.