Wednesday, November 09, 2011

Pardon our (dis)appearance

It's been a hectic week with visitors, preparing for an event for work this weekend, etc.

But in the meantime, does this remind you of anyone you know? (Hint: he is going to be 16 in January, and then life will end as we know it.)

My dad went up to visit my grandfather, who is 86 now, and lives about five hours north of us. He is declining, which is hard for my dad to see. But in some ways, he's still got it.

At the assisted living facility where he has an apartment, they have a communal lunch and dinner. My grandfather wears his Notre Dame hat everywhere he goes (he went to school there.) One day at dinner, another resident said, "My mom told us as boys that we shouldn't wear caps at the table."

My grandfather replied, "Well, we're not in your mom's house, are we?"

The apple doesn't fall that far from the grandapple tree.

12 comments:

LL Cool Joe said...

Ha ha that's the perfect answer! I'll have to remember that one when I get told to remove my cap! Ok maybe it won't work in every situation but it's worth a go.

Claire said...

Hee! Love it.

Cxx

Lynn said...

I'm with your grandfather - when you are 86, you should be able to do anything you want. :)

Somehow I think you and Blake will always be close. He is a cool young man.

G. B. Miller said...

Excellent!

And one can never have too much coffee.

Granny Annie said...

I have never understood why women can wear hats anywhere they want and men cannot. My husband has fits with the grandsons when they wear their ball caps in doors. I love it when Ron wears his Stetson but it is rare because there is not place to put it when we go out to eat. If he could just keep it on his head, all would be well.

Your brother is a doll. Hope 16 won't change him too much.

A Beer for the Shower said...

Holy crap, is that the kid from The Sixth Sense?

Ileana said...

I like the way he rolls. :)

Riot Kitty said...

Joey: I say go for it!
L: If I live that long, I will certainly have that motto. And as for the bro, I hope so :)
G: Agreed!
GA: Hear hear! I don't understand either. I have a friend who looks awesome in his fedora.
ABFTS: That's a bit creepy, because the actor you reference is, um, dead.
S: He's 15 going on 40. You'd love him! All of my girlfriends do.

Riot Kitty said...

Oops! Wrong actor. I was thinking of Brad Renfro.

Marnie said...

I LOVE your Grandfather!!! He sounds like a riot (as you said the apple doesn't fall far from the tree ;0) ) xo As always coffee rules.

Riot Kitty said...

He is pretty funny - most of the time unintentionally, but he has always been clever :)

AguiLeon said...

nice post



2Peeeps Health and Fitness