Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Senior Cat

I just had a birthday that a lot of people forgot, and perhaps that's a good thing. I celebrated in Minnesota with family - oddly enough, I had my first several birthdays there - and the day after, my 17-year-old brother B came out with this line out of nowhere:

"Now you're Senior Cat." Pause. COOKIE MONSTER GIGGLES.

Me: "What?"
B: "You know. You had a birthday...your nickname was Kitty..." More Cookie Monster giggles.
Me: "Senior?! As in old?" Yet more Cookie Monster giggles. 


I repeated this story to my friend's son, who is also 17, and he said, "KITTY?! That's not your nickname now, right?  Just tell him...you're SeƱor Kitay!"

I am so out of touch. But we'll see who gets to ride around (or doesn't) in my red Mustang next time he visits! (Yeah, I know he's reading this.) Seriously, he did give me his room, so I suppose I can forgive him (maybe.)

It was really funny when B was little because I'd take him on outings and guys would look at me, then him, then walk the other way. Seriously, they thought I was a really young mom. For awhile, he also called all men "dada." My stepmom had some fun times with him in the grocery store when that happened.

My siblings all gave me books for my birthday, and we went to an Indian restaurant for lunch. If I lived closer to that place, I wouldn't be able to fit into my pants.

I also got to meet my friend Gigi, who I met from blogging, in person - and we realized we've been corresponding for several years longer than we thought! She is a doll and a hoot at the same time.

Incidentally, today is the 50th anniversary of the March on Washington. No matter how much terrible shit is going on in this country, take a moment to look how far the civil rights movement has come. I am grateful for the people who came before us and don't plan to stop agitating anytime soon.


20 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

Happy, happy (belated) birthday and yes, keep on agitating. Until there is nothing left to be agitated about (which is my dream).

Lynn said...

Happy belated birthday! Sounds like a lovely time - especially getting all the books. :)

OldLady Of The Hills said...

A Belated Happy Birthday, my dear, and many many more Happy ones to come....
Senior Kitty??? How old are you, dear RK? I would say, he is Waaaaay off on that one...lol!

I was thinking about that afternoon, 50 years ago today, and watching the March on TV, as it happened and, how deeply moving and inspiring and AMAZING it was to see that SEA of people filling up the Mall...and the speeches....And, of course, the most inspiring of speeches, ever---From Dr. King!!! It was a truly Historic Day, in every way....And still brings me to tears when I think about it and when they showes him speaking, that day.
I wish they would show the entire afternoon, once again. We all need to be reminded of what a true Milestone that day was and what it took to pull that off so incredibly successfully---Beyond anyone.s wildest dreams....It was a truly GLORIOUS Day, in every way!!!!!

Granny Annie said...

Obviously I am a bit behind reading blog posts. Anyway, Happy, Happy, Happy belated birthday to you. Glad you got to be with family and get a big dose of lovin' to last a while.

Charles Gramlich said...

Books for your birthday! Yes indeed!

CraveCute said...

Happy B-Day RK! I just read your comment about the MN weather on my blog! You are kidding right? Oh you are one tough cookie then. I am still wilting in this heat. Regarding being a Senior, I am sure you are a long ways off from that. Glad you had fun with your family though, they sound like a great group!

Cperz said...

Happy (belated, though it be) Birthday!!! Imagine that I am singing Happy Birthday to you. Imagine that I am off key but I mean well.

Senior Kitty just doesn't have the same ring as Riot Kitty.

I think that it is very cool that you had a chance to meet a fellow blogger. I always worry that if any of my blogger friends met me they would go home shaking their head "What a little weirdo...but she really does look like Crabby Pants."



Debra She Who Seeks said...

Sounds like you had a great birthday, apart from that "senior" slur!

Abby said...

Happy Birthday Senora Kitay! Books and food - YEAH!

Birdie said...


.•°*”˜˜”*°•.¸☆ ★ ☆¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•.¸☆
╔╗╔╦══╦═╦═╦╗╔╗ ★ ★ ★
║╚╝║══║═║═║╚╝║ ☆¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•.¸☆
║╔╗║╔╗║╔╣╔╩╗╔╝ ★ BIRTHDAY ★
╚╝╚╩╝╚╩╝╚╝═╚╝ ¥☆★☆★☆¥ ★☆

LL Cool Joe said...

Damn you kept that birthday to yourself! Happy Birthday! I don't think I have, or will have books for my birthday. :D

The lunch in an Indian restaurant sounds cool. Nothing beats Indian food!

A Beer for the Shower said...

Happy belated birthday! And until you eat dinner at 3:30 PM and use your ID to get a senior discount on said dinner, you are hardly Senior Kitty.

Dexter Klemperer said...

Happy birthday! And if you become Senior Kitty, wouldn't that just make you Cat? Or would that be an old cat... yeah, stick with Riot Kitty.

Riot Kitty said...

EC: Thank you! Mine too.
Lynn: Totally excited about the books!
Naomi: I am giving him endless shit. I'm 37, but he's 17 and loves giving me grief. That must have been amazing to see!
Ann: Thanks! It was a fun trip actually.
CG: The best present for sure.
CC: No, it really didn't feel that bad - but I have lived in Houston, and that was like stepping into a sauna.
Cheryl: Haha! I think that would be awesome.
Debra: Pretty good, yes.
Abby: Good point!
Birdie: How the hell do you do that?! Very cool!
Joey: I don't advertise it :) I was worried at first - Indian food in the land of whiter-than-white people?! But it was owned by an Indian couple, and the food was great.
ABFTS: Thank you! And I hope so.
Dex: Thanks...and...yeah.

Lee said...

I don't know how I came to miss this post...how I've arrived so late!

So a very, very Happy Belated Birthday to you Ms Kit-tay!!

Keep the celebrations going. 'tis what I say!

Riot Kitty said...

Lee: Thank you!

Anil P said...

Belated Birthday Wishes to you.

The books, what better gift can there be.

Keep shining the Sun for the rest of us. You're a delight.

Unknown said...

I hope he had a very HAPPY, HAPPY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Memphis said...

So can we call your Senior Kittay from now on, too?

Riot Kitty said...

Anil: Thank you! That's very sweet.
Jerry: ME, not he. :)
Steve: I suppose so!