Sunday, November 26, 2006

In the category of "fucking ridiculous"

As bad as Michael Richards' racist remarks were, and as inconsequential as his apology may be, I find it fucking ridiculous that the two men he insulted are, according to an attorney they've wasted no time in hiring, now asking for "compensation."

Compensation for what? For being insulted by a jackass? Does that now come with a financial reward? Would receiving a windfall of cash make his racist remarks any less harmful? Does it help the state of race relations as a whole? Or is it just the latest in what seems to be a uniquely American phenomenon...see a window of opportunity, and sue. It's downright insulting to all of the people who have worked or suffered on behalf of civil rights. For that matter, millions of gay people go through this kind of shit every day, and all they want is to have the same rights as the rest of us.

But what do I know? Maybe we should all start demanding money.

Let's see - if I had greenbacks from everyone who's targeted a sexist, racist or otherwise socially repellant remark at me, I think I could probably retire at 3o (e.g., now.) Would it do any good for anyone but me? Well, it might be satisfying to have a certain former editor pay up for asking me to "pretend to be a dumb blonde and see if there's anything new" on a particular story.

But truly, it would be laughable if it wasn't so disgusting.

1 comment:

Darth Weasel said...

I think it is emblamatic of certain deeper problems this society is developing, such as the continual search to "earn" a living by doing no work at all and suing your way to riches and hitting the lottery seem to be two favorite avenues for growing segments of society. now if you will excuse me I need to spill a frappucino on my lap so I can sue Starbucks because it was cold...