Saturday, October 08, 2011

How to lose friends and not influence people


I went to an event tonight for the local county chapter of the organization I work for. So keep this in mind - if it's an event that I am in charge of, I am fearless and can work a room or talk to anyone. Any other event with more than two people, where I have to be social, absolutely terrifies me.

So I suck it up because I want to thank someone who did the centerpieces for our big dinner at work last month. He said, "Actually, my mom was the one who designed them - here she is."

I walk up and give her a big smile and introduce myself.

"Hi, I'm Riot Kitty from (Riot Kitty's organization.) I just wanted to introduce myself and thank you, because I was in charge of the dinner and the centerpieces were wonderful!"

She replied, "Well hello! Nice to meet you! But...I didn't do the centerpieces."

Turning about 12 shades of red, I turned to the volunteer who said, "Um, my mom's at the next table."

Do not pass go! Do not collect $200! Epic fail!

(Claire: I consoled myself later with an epic nom, e.g. chocolate croissant.)

19 comments:

LL Cool Joe said...

Ha ha you crack me up! I don't know about fail, I'm sure you made a few people laugh even if was at your expense!

Lynn said...

Hey - at least you eventually thanked the right person. :) And that epic nom sounds so good.

G. B. Miller said...

Been there, done that.

About four weeks ago, I casually asked one the staff members that works at the facility I do payroll for when's the baby due.

She says, "No baby, I'm just fat."

Ileana said...

Oh nooooooo! lol That sounds horrifying, but funny NOW, right?? Ha!

PS - Is epic nom considered a reward for fails? If so, I'm owed LOTS of chocolate!!

Riot Kitty said...

Joe: Glad to hear it ;)
L: True. And yes, it was!
G: OK, you win!
S: That is hilarious!

Claire said...

Oh bless you, and hurrah for epic noms! We all do stuff like that, right?

Right? ;)

Cxx

Marnie said...

I've done that before too...it's always funny after. I also hate it when someone looks like they're talking to me and I answer only to find out that they were talking to the person behind me....yikes!!

G. B. Miller said...

I win? Yippee!

:D

Riot Kitty said...

Claire: If it's not just me, I'll feel better ;)
M: It's much funnier today. And I've done that lots of times.
G: Yes! And your prize is...hmm, let me think about that ;)

Full-On-Forward said...

RK--It's not just you--I could screw up an Anvil!!! I don't know what that means but do I get an epic nom for it?

Hugs,


J



LOL--OMG-- the word verification is fuccas! Or- WHAT THE GOVERNMENT DOES DAILY!

Riot Kitty said...

John: Excellent on the word verification!! Mine is "faceart." Not making it up!

Holland said...

Your fail is so recognizable that it cracked me up....LOL

A Beer for the Shower said...

And that's why you should always carry a walking stick. At that point, you start tapping the ground, wander off while feigning blindness, and say, "Oh, so sorry."

Suddenly, you're no longer the jackass.

You're welcome for the tip.

Granny Annie said...

I just have to say that there is not such thing as a wasted hug and I'm sure you had one for the right person too:)

Riot Kitty said...

H: I'm glad it's not just me.
ABFTS: Excellent idea! Thank you!
GA: Awww! That is sweet and true.

Logical Libby said...

I've done worse. Trust me.

Riot Kitty said...

Libby: I will!

Darth Weasel said...

sincere compliments can never be a fail, even if directed in the wrong direction. The world would be better off if more people knew to pass them on

Riot Kitty said...

Thanks Darth :)