Thursday, January 25, 2018

Better

I'm surfacing. 2017 was the most challenging year of my life, and I wanted to thank all of my friends in the blogging community for showing me so much wonderful support.

I want to send a message to anyone out there reading this who lives with depression or suicidal thoughts and tell you it gets better. To all of the survivors, you are stronger than your abusers. Getting well and carrying on and healing is the best revenge. It can be dark and horrendous and it can feel like not waking up again is the only way out, but it does get better. I swear. You do not have to die.

In the meantime, this organization saved my life. My boss allowed me to keep my job and believed I could recover even when I did not, and when a previous therapist wasn't sure. (Incidentally, note to former therapist: thanks for nothing. I'm stubborn and stronger than I thought.)

I'm raising money again this year for an event I'm in charge of in May with renewed focus. We never give up hope on anyone. I thank everyone who did not give up on me. If you feel so moved, I would love to have your support.

More to come - being able to be upright and go to work every day is a blessing, and there is much going on. I'll visit your blogs soon!

Thank you all again. I'm so grateful.

14 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Seeing this new post from you, so full of life and health, has made my day, Riot Kitty! I'm happy for your recovery and strength!

Mike_D said...

With you all the way...

Birdie said...

I was wondering where you were.

Recovery from trauma can take weeks, months or even years. Sometimes it’s going to be a lifelong battle. I am so glad your employer is supportive. That’s a huge bonus. But it doesn’t help with the reality and the everyday fight of just getting up in the morning.
Sending a few dozen hugs.

Charles Gramlich said...

Very good to see you here. I sure hope 2018 will be a big improvement for you.

Lee said...

It is great to see you back here again, RK. You've not been far from my thoughts...and I kept a close eye...hoping your reappearance would be soon. And, here you are, girl!! :)

Keep up the great work within yourself. You're a strong, good lady...your strength of spirit will always win...never forget that. :)

Take good care...you have many who care. :)

Lynn said...

I'm so glad you are better! And it's so wonderful to hear that your organization supported you like that. Hugs!

Jono said...

So glad you are here. It is a tough battle and I am so happy you have won. You were lucky to find people who give a damn. We should all be so fortunate. I will find a way to give support.

CraveCute said...

So glad to hear you're feeling better RK. You sound stronger and more determined than ever. I'm hoping this year will bring peace and tranquility into your life. Pretty soon you will be Zen Kitty.

Granny Annie said...

Glad to have you back from the brink. You have been missed.

Blue Grumpster said...

Your boss allowed you to keep your job and believed you could recover even when you did not... Well, that's one in a million. Good for you.

I can't begin to imagine what you've been through. I'm blue 24/7 and say fuck more than Steve Martin does in Planes, Trains and Automobiles, but that's about it.

Good to have you back.

Abby said...

Glad to "see" you. Happy New Year, seriously.

klahanie said...

My thoughtful friend, yes, as my human dad can state, it can get better. Support, knowing your not alone, embracing resources conducive to your mental health well being are powerful. I know that my human dad share the gift of empathy in an ideal where when we help each other, we help ourselves.

I shall duly share your important story and thus, the link. My human dad chooses to live with rather than suffer from his mental illness.

Bless you for those who would torment are actually trying to mask their insecurities by targeting somebody they consider vulnerable. A very cruel thing to do.

Pawsitive wishes,

Penny 🐶

Ms Scarlet said...

I'm so pleased that you are feeling better, and you are seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.
All the very best to you.
Sx

Snaggle Tooth said...

Glad you made it thru the rough patch! You Go Girl!