Tuesday, August 08, 2017

Cancer, you're a dick.

Dear Cancer,
Fuck you. With a capital F.
I get that death is the cycle of life. What I do not get is why, despite pouring billions of dollars into research, we can't eradicate you.

I do not get why you keep robbing us of people suddenly and unexpectedly.

I understand that death is a part of life. I do not get why you have to come in and swoop down on those who are just beginning a new part of theirs. Like the fates snipping the thread.

You took someone who spent his entire life providing comfort and a voice for those who are most marginalized. And he planned to do it after retirement, yet you couldn't wait to get your hooks into him.

I am told anger is part of the grief process. I'm fucking angry. I am also sad, because I emailed someone yesterday about meeting whom I will never meet again - at least in this life. Because having watched other two people very close to me die of your filth, slowly and painfully, and having lost others when I was too young to know what was going on, I just feel helpless.

I would never wish you on anyone. But why do you go after the saints among us?

16 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

Heartfelt hugs and oceans of caring.
Cancer sucks better than Dyson has ever managed.

Abby said...

Shit, I have the same theme on my blog today. Sorry, RKitty.

Birdie said...

Just today a friend I have known since kindergarten was told she may have melanoma. Fucking cancer, indeed.

I'm sorry it got one of your loved ones. Will we ever find a cure for this plague?

Lynn said...

I know - my best friend died of breast cancer when she was 29 years old. I'll never get over that. It does suck - so much.

Lee said...

I empathise, RK....I understand the feelings of both sadness and anger...the intermingling of the two.

Hugs to you, too.

G. B. Miller said...

It's f'ing insidious and disgusting. You always have an ear to bend out here should you ever need it.

George

I Are Writer!

Jono said...

It got my mother at 25. I've had it twice. If caught early it can be stopped, but it has taken my friends and family and now someone who matters a great deal to you. Get mad and get sad, but support early detection and research. Nobody said it would be an easy battle.

Anonymous said...

So sorry for your loss. I hope though that your friend had lived a full life and one that he would consider well spent. If we believe that he is now in a better place than this messy world, than that is what counts most. Each of us would be blessed if that was so for our own lives. Nevertheless, death is ugly at any age. Once again, my condolences.

LL Cool Joe said...

Cancer is a bitch. I'm so sorry. :(

klahanie said...

You have every right to feel the emotion of anger. Cancer will be defeated. The saints among us blighted by such an evil ailment, will one day know that victory has happened.

I'm so sorry to read of the loss of your friend.

Gary

Granny Annie said...

The losses are totally ours. They are finally at peace, getting away from a terrible and painful illness. F*** Cancer for sure! Sad for you loss of a friend.

Charles Gramlich said...

I just find it so horrifying that I can barely think or speak of it.

A Beer for the Shower said...

It's taken many that I love, many well before their time, and no matter how hard I hold up both middle fingers it just won't fuck off.

I'm always here if you need someone to bitch at.

CraveCute said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. It's a horrible thing. I've seen it up close take my mother, grandmother and two aunts.

Phil said...

I'm sorry for your loss and I'm as pissed at cancer as you are.

Blue Grumpster said...

Will it ever be eradicated? I don't know what to say, Kitty. It sucks.