Friday, June 22, 2012

Five minute Friday

Check out the lovely Claire's blog to see her post.

So, today's topic is humor.

I realized more than ever when I was in the hospital that if we lose our sense of humor, we are totally lost. I was able to make jokes when I had three IVs, and I think that (as well as God, and the love and support of Mr. RK, family and friends) was what helped me stay sane.

My family is a funny bunch (as in odd), but we also like being funny. We also like to chat. My grandfather, for instance, probably started talking the day he was born and he hasn't shut
up ever since! I think I have heard all of the stories a million times, and I
hardly ever see him.

One really hilarious one though - when he was a clergyman, one of the weddings
he performed was with an American woman and a man from Iran. He started to
suspect that the Persian wedding ceremony was different than the traditional
American one when the wedding vows started to go something like this (and I
swear I am not making this up):

My grandfather: "And do you take this woman, (whatever her name was), for richer
or poorer?"
Groom: "Richer!"
Grandfather: "In sickness or in health?"
Groom: "Health!"

And at the end when he pronounced them man and wife, the groom said, "Yes!"

Later, my grandfather found out that the traditional Persian wedding ceremony
involves a series of questions and answers. Or so he says. ;) I don't have any Iranian relatives, so if anyone has the answer to this (if it's really traditional or my grandfather is full of it), please let me know.

Speaking of funny...

13 comments:

Darth Weasel said...

humor is awesome and that would have been a great wedding ceremony.

My Dad was a preacher and was always joking about weddings as being funerals...and then, in the first ceremony he performed, for his brother no less, he had a slip of the tonge a welcomed everyone to the funeral...

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Well, as the Readers Digest always said, "laughter is the best medicine" and how could the Readers Digest ever be wrong?

Claire said...

Funny weddings are my joy!

LL Cool Joe said...

Actually answering a set of questions would be much easier than having to repeat what the vicar says. :D

Granny Annie said...

Our family sometimes went overboard with hospital humor. It seems our trips to the emergency room were always the most entertaining for us and we laughed to keep from crying. However most medical staffs don't appreciate that very much. My father, a minister, had some great wedding stories. He would have loved hearing this one! LOL

Lynn said...

That wedding vow story is priceless. :)

I'm so glad you had your sense of humor through your illness and thank you for the lol cat - I always look forward to that.

Riot Kitty said...

Darth: !!!! Did everyone laugh, or was there just terrible silence?
D: Do they still publish Reader's Digest?
C: I've been to too many serious ones, I think.
Joey: True!
GA: Laughing in the ER! That would take some talent.
L: I thought so too...hopefully it's true, but I think it would be pretty inventive to make something like that up. Happy to provide the lolcats!

Michael said...

That's pretty cool, learn something new everyday :) Love the picture too haha

Riot Kitty said...

Matt: I thought it was pretty awesome!

AguiLeon.com said...

yah kitty your pretty awesome lol

Anonymous said...

No one in my immediate family is funny, but they are odd, which can be funny. My extended family is hilarious. While most people dread family reunions, I love them because I know I will laugh the whole way through.

G. B. Miller said...

And....over the years, my humor, while not strange, has become rather refined, in that it becomes geared specifically towards the individual that I'm talking to.

For example: the type of banter that you and I exchange is radically different from the banter that I exchange with a particular co-worker. And vice-versa.

Riot Kitty said...

AL: Thanks!
NV: I usually laugh after, at my family.
G: I would hope so!